- In Tyler, the "new poor" are draining supplies at the East Texas Food Bank. Meet a newly poor family, the Moores.
- In Dallas, the North Texas Food Bank is facing a $156K shortage needed to offset a 25% increase in demand.
- In Palestine - where 1 in 5 households make less than $15,000/year - social service providers are seeing a "dramatic increase" in families asking for help.
- In Houston, overwhelming demand has expanded the number of families relying on food stamps by nearly a third.
- In Taylor, food stamps caseloads are similarly up by 30%.
Monday, January 5, 2009
Happy 2009? Not for many Texas families. According to recent coverage:
at 12:47 PM